Agriculture, with its allied sectors, is unquestionably the largest livelihood provider in India, more so in the vast rural areas. It also contributes a significant figure to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP), Kisan Raja an innovative social startup by Vijay Bhaskar Reddy Dinnepu which aims to give digital touch to improve lives of poor farmers.
Vijay Bhaskar born in an agriculture family and seen the pains and troubles faced by farmers, after completing his masters in Computer science from Indian Institute of Technology(IIT), Madras worked for more than 11 years in design and development experience in various categories of networking and embedded software.
Vinfinet Technologies is an innovative social startup firm based in Bangalore, which aims to connect technology and rural India through digital platform thereby bring in change in the lives of farmers.
Kisan Raja a Game changer
Kisan Raja is an innovative device manufactured by Vinfinet Technologies Pvt. Ltd. In 2010 which connects technology and farmers. The device and system allows farmers to remotely control the agricultural motor using their mobile or landline.
Reason for Innovation
Agriculture in most parts of India are not rain dependent but people will depend on ground water through motor pumps, there are lot of troubles faced by farmers in using Motor pumps like
1.Farmers need to go to fields during odd hours just to switch ON/OFF the motor pump due to erratic power supply and facing risk to life from wild animals.
2.Irrigation equipments frequently gets damaged due to voltage fluctuation and farmers have to spend lot of money to get it repaired.
3.Risk to irrigation equipments of getting stolen.
4.Due to auto starters there is a wastage of water and electricity as motor keeps on running.
What Kisan Raja offers.
Kisan Raja works on innovative GSM-based device which uses Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS) technology with which farmers can Control the operation of the motor from a mobile or landline from absolutely anywhere.
Benefits of Kisan Raja.
- It will provide flexibility for farmers to use the motor from wherever they stay, it is also easy to delegate operation of motor to anyone as it involves just instructing through mobile.
- This will help in saving power and also in conservation of water.
- Automatic power detection to communicate to the farmer on the availability of power helps keep track of erratic power supply and make the most of the limited power supply in villages.
- Provide acknowledgment of water being pumped so that farmer is assured of the water supply to the crop.
- Detect voltage fluctuations and 3 phase connectivity faults to prevent damage to the motor.
- Automatically shut down the motor when water is not available to prevent damage to the motor. Raise an alarm and make you a phone call if anyone try to steal.
The Marketing strategy of Kisan Raja is also innovative as the product, they reach out to their target market through fairs such as Krishi Mela. Word-of-mouth marketing is also a huge source of enquiries and orders as one successful farmer refer his friends. The Experimental marketing is also new way of marketing technique worked well for Kisan Raja, it offers a free trial for 2 days for the interested farmers and they end up buying it.
1.Revenue from Product sales
2.Monthly subscription model in collaboration with Distributional Channel Partners.
3.Royalty Charges for Design Services from OEMs like Motor/Starter Vendors.
4.Commissions from other partners in the Eco system (TELCOs, FMCG, etc.)
5.Revenue from selling Carbon Credits The solution is deployed in the following states of South India: 1. Andhra Pradesh 2. Karnataka
Awards and recognition:
- Kisan Raja is among the top-5 innovations at the Samsung Innovation Quotient Conducted by CNBC-TV 18 in 2011.
- Kisan Raja is one of the finalists at Wantrapreneur, a social business competition at the Villgro Unconvention.
- Kisan Raja won CNBC TV 18’s Digitizing India award in 2016.